Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Blog Flash 2012, August 21: Night



My dog, Oli, is part husky and isn't fond of hot weather.  He'd rather it be 20 degrees with fresh snow on the ground.

Most of the year, we take a walk and play frisbee in the early afternoon before I go to work.  On hot summer days, he prefers to chase the ball in the backyard and splash in his pool every few minutes.

On my days off, we go walking after dark.  This is when my cat decides it's unfair that only dogs get to go for walks.  She'll follow us.  The first time she did she scared the hell out of my by stalking us for ten minutes before sprinting past me in the dark.

Her name is Zloby, which means "she is naughty" in Czech.  Somehow I knew.

And for no reason other than I'm proud of it, another chunk of Cathartes:

Joe drains his cup, rises, shakes off his dream.
He sets in front of Bodhi a cracker
With salmon and cheese. He looks up, wags once
But stays at his post like a stone lion.
Gripping the shotgun, Joe takes one more lap
On soft feet through the brightness and shadows.
I am no owl and certainly no bat.
I nestle low in the top of a fir
As the frogs court each other, the crickets
Rub wings and the owls creep on sleepless mice.

From Cathartes Aura on the Road from Nowhere, Chapter Four, Verse Six.


3 comments:

  1. Nice piece 86. My cat Zeetz is just like Zloby, and I wouldn't have her any other way. She keeps me on my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't help, but laugh when you said about Zloby sprinting past you and scaring the hell of out you as I had a similar situation just last night. I'd been upstairs for a while and came down to make some tea. I walked through the dining room without turning on the light and into the kitchen. I turned the light on and starting making tea. As it was quite warm, I'd left the back door open. As I moved to go back into the dining room, a black cat ran past me and out the door like its' tail was on fire. We don't have a cat! Talk about making me jump - not good when you physically can't! I don't know where he was hiding or why he didn't move until I went to go back through the dining room, but he was one scared moggy if his speed was anything to go by!

    Really enjoyed this post (both bits)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oli is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing the picture and the piece!

    ReplyDelete