Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Blog Flash 2012, August 7: Sunset



Locked in a cage at the zoo on the day no keepers or tourists showed up.

The feathers crawl up my spine, wings, and neck.
I shiver in the sunlight. No bird moves
As the sun dives, slides purpling from our view.

The light fails. The Twins stare blank at the floor.
Eldest stands stoic in the branches, down
Soft and grey ruffling on her neck, inert
With patience. The hatch does not creak. No meat
Ever falls. Pastels turn to ink and night
Comes complete. Stars twinkle like ice. Echoes
Of hoots and grunts quiet and less quiet.

Cathartes Aura and the Apocalypse Zoo
Chapter Two, Verse Four

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting idea...I can imagine the sounds echoing through the zoo, some subdued, some melancholy and some panicked...there would be a fair bit of pacing in cages! I liked this piece because it fired my imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great imagery and an interesting take on the prompt. Like Lisa, this also fired my imagination. I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great piece - thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete