Monday, July 28, 2014

Up the Next Mountain


The next mountain to climb is freelance writing.

My goal: to support my family without a workplace.  After over twenty years of needing a restaurant to earn money, I want an income that is mobile.  Where I work and when I work should be my decision.

I still love the restaurant, but it is time to set my feet wider and achieve balance.  When we decide it's time to physically move the family, I want to take my business with me.  One day, I want my wife to be closer to her family.  I want my kids to study in their second language.  I want a dock and boat in my back yard.

I've made the first move.  In September, I'm going from 5 nights down to 4.  I know I can make enough freelancing to make up for the lost day.  I hope to soon go down to 3 or 2 shifts a week if business will support it.

My Rant Sports football writing income is still a question mark.  I only earn ad revenue and don't see a report on that until two months have passed.  I'm about to go from 4 to 7 pieces a week and I don't know what each are worth.  But of all the things I'm writing about, football is by far my favorite.  Many people make a good living writing and talking about the NFL.  The path to that goal has many stepping stones.

My Bright Hub work has increased and now involves work with College Factual, a university research site.  I also work with Zerys and Writer Access.  Oddly, Zerys started me at ground level and WA saw my work and gave me a 4/5 star rating.  Therefore with WA I can do much higher paying jobs.  Where am I spending my time?

It's been nuts, but things are in motion.  In the last two weeks I've written about the Raiders' potential move to LA, natural back pain remedies, the 2015 Ford Taurus, James Bond inspired cocktails, an Italian restaurant in Cincinnati, fantasy football tips, a fictitious ride in a Bentley Mulsanne and bird hunting in South Africa.  And some other stuff.

Well, time is money and so are words.  Just giving you Vultureheads an update.  Wish me luck on cautiously stepping away from the hospitality business.

And a note of thanks to Freedom with Writing.  They've given me the best and most reliable advice for getting paid to write.  Check them out.  Sign up.


No comments:

Post a Comment