Sunday, July 29, 2012

Blog Flash 2012

I'm not a blogger.  I know it says blogspot.com up there but I don't blog.  Blogging is getting people to pay attention to what you say and dedicating yourself to informing them with smart stuff on your website.


I don't know smart stuff.  I'd love to deliver tips on how to be a successful indie author but I ain't one.  If I had time, I'd share some of the things I've learned, but I don't have time.  I know a lot of people are busy and I hate to sound like some sort of martyr, but with a full time job, a marriage, two young kids, a house, and a writing career to get off the floor, finding time to blog is impossible.  Already I choose each night whether to write or sleep.


But I've been invited to do Terri Giuliano Long's Blog Flash 2012 this August and I'm doing it.  A different writing prompt every day in August (most of them one word) with little instruction other than be 50-100 words, fictional, factual, prose, poetry, anecdotal or whatever.


Sounds like I can do that.  All the writing prompts are already posted, so with a little planning and forethought, few of my entries will be "oh crap" pieces written at 3am when I'm beat up from a night of bartending, plotting my paths to success and failure with my executive assistant Evan Williams.


But I'm doing it my way.  Say what you want about self-promotion, but why does anyone do anything, especially online?  To get noticed.  To become successful.  Why is any writer or blogger participating in this?  To get website visits and book sales.  Hell, why is Terri doing it?  Yes, to help people like me become successful but to further her own success.  All of this action helps more people notice everyone.


So everything I write for The Flash will be about Cathartes Aura and the Apocalypse ZooCathartes Aura on the Road from Nowhere, the upcoming CA3, post-apocalyptic thought, the genesis of the project, or the future: Passion of Father James, Bar on the End of the Earth, Mousebutt Soup and beyond.  A lot of personal history, choices, decisions and deliberation will be involved in the construction of this 100,000 syllable project. I might die of pride if I ever complete it.


August 1: the prompt is "Thinking" and I am thinking about it.  Something regarding how I chose to make this whole thing into a collection of 10x10s narrated by a turkey vulture.


I've been putting way too much work into this thing, picking out words with tweezers, to not spend a little bit of time writing about how I think.  I'll slip in some talk about David Priest, mention why my wife and sons are the smartest people I know and the most beautiful.  I'm likely to talk about the naughty mystery I'm writing for Penny A Page Erotica.


But I'm giving everyday of August to my bird, my boy, the Turkey Vulture Cathartes Aura for submitting to be the unwilling narrator of my post-apocalyptic saga.

No comments:

Post a Comment