Saturday, April 16, 2011

Confessions of a Crap Artist

The binge has begun.
I read "Confessions of a Crap Artist" by Philip K. Dick.  The whole thing.  It was not what I expected.  Certainly not PA or even sci-fi.  It's the story of a man who collects junk, hoards newspapers, hatches crazy ideas, and is unprepared for life in the real world.  Turned out to be just as much a story about his sister and her husband.  It started slowly, but once I got through the first hundred pages or so, I couldn't put it down.  The hooks were in me.  I needed to know what happened to the characters.  At midnight I saw I only had fifty or sixty pages to go, so I said "what the hell" and just finished it.
Mr. Dick does everything I don't do.  Lays out detailed characters in first person.  Gets deep into psychology and philosophy.  Dissects human relationships.  I'm just a simple guy with a bird who likes eyeballs.
I got two of his books from the library and need to get something to read next weekend.
Next up: "A Scanner Darkly".

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/65030

No comments:

Post a Comment