Thursday, August 16, 2012

Blog Flash 2012, August 16: Different World



Much respect to the historical fiction authors who can take me back to Victorian England or Cold-War Europe. I can't do that.

So I created my own world. The geography, history and sociology are mine. No one can tell me I didn't do it accurately.

Not to say it's easy. Hard work to build a believable setting that feels real. You still need to understand this world and then fabricate a copy.

From the post-apocalyptic angle, destroying the world, even fictitiously, is hard.

Scientists and physicists will always say: “the virus wouldn't spread like that” or “a man-made bomb couldn't cause a tsunami”.

My turkey vulture narrator isn't only a macabre. He's a cop-out. I don't have to tell the reader what happened completely. I just deliver little clues and bits of dialogue as observed by my boy Cathartes Aura.

No comments:

Post a Comment